we paid for 1/2 of the emergency room costs totalling 657.00, they then went to another vet and said that their dog had an ulcer in it's eye (dog is a pug) and required emergency surgery resulting in an additional 2700.00 cost, are we liable for this? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the Dogtraining community. Maybe "Ike" is one of those bc. My neighbor is very friendly and still likes the dogs even though they are not too fond of his beloved pet. Really went for it, picked him up and shook him. Dogs chase prey for fun. A 9-year-old girl died this week when three dogs attacked her … BTW, the "taste of blood" thing is nonsense. A dog attacked my cat on Saturday. The yorkie won't even look at the goats now. It's a sad thing watching something die. If a dog has bitten somebody, attacked another dog or seems likely to attack, you should report it immediately to the police on 101. This community is geared towards modern, force-free methods and recommendations. My goat got attacked by 3 dogs three days ago. To what extent am i liable if my dog got loose and attacked my neighbors dog on their property? Notice Cersei's defensive snort at the end. The new female ran with him. Stay alert. I'd also be extra cautious about having kids around multiple big muscular dogs. Is it safe to keep him around my grandchildren after the have killed a goat? It's prey drive that we altered, that we put control on, but in the absence of human intervention and control  it's just plain old prey drive and no more or less likely to result in a dog killing. Long story short, cat went to vet, spent 2 nights there and has since been given the all clear, and is now home. I have days that I just start screaming names until I get to the one that needs yelled at - which of course is the one that isn't listening anyhow. My mother's collie does the same thing to any ground hog it sees. Reply. My daughter loves them and is angry at me because I had them fenced in the front yard and not locked up in their kennels. I punched and kicked and yelled - … I have two border collie mcknab mixed dogs 7 months old. The stuff was a neosporin looking stuff, but NOT neosporin. Despite our yelling at the owner to call her dog she just stood and watched. But under the law of any state, they are not actually "persons". . It's so odd to one moment be reading about a young dog problem and then a moment later, that whole dogs life has passed. Well, Cletus, I wouldn't worry too much about the ibuprofen. If the dog has been safe and reliable around kids in the past, killing a mouse or a chicken or a goat doesn't suddenly make the dog see humans as potential prey. Answer Save. The dog first grabbed Daisy (the Buff Orpington) and spit her out (guess she was too fluffy). You can tell the difference between a coyote attack and a dog attack because dogs chase and try to get as many goats as they can, while coyotes go for the throat and then try to get at a goat’s internal organs. I have heard what you said about tasting blood too, but I never really put any (excuse the pun), stock in it. They don't always come perfect, sometimes you have to work on it. Watch Queue Queue. It did not bite but rushed her repeatedly, circling around then crashing into her until I got in front of her. Obviously a bit sore and sorry for himself, and more than a … You can also teach your dog to respect the boundaries … My dog is usually tied down, but he always breaks out of the leash and we don’t always have money to be buy him a new one right away (that’s why we’ve been keeping him inside). I got the dogs to their kennels, gave medicine to the goat & doctored it's wounds & again later at night, but this morning the poor thing was dead. Running triggers this action... maybe get a big, mean male goat. The male is kinda different, he acts too busy to be petted, not very personal at all. A stray dog was coldly shot dead in the street after it attacked a goat and a soldier. I don't know what will be harder, telling everyone how my dog thought I was a robber or explaining to them why a 25 year old man owns a poodle. I lost 2 kittens to our Border Collie and while I was extremely upset at the time she didn't know that it was wrong to chase them. There is no reason why they need to be unsupervised in the backyard, and they have not been since we started having trouble. In addition to the "many" phenomenon that you're going through, the dogs are also figuring out who is who and what is what. Harvest, kids & keeping a school bus schedule. Relevance. Coyotes: Eastern coyotes hunt individually, looking for weak members of a herd; western coyotes hunt in packs. Her dog (a little yorkie) use to chase them all the time until one of the goats had enough one day. Then she grabbed Sweetpea and ran about 100 feet, put her down on the ground and began ripping and tearing. The more times he gets away with being "bad", the worse it becomes, but I'm sure you know that. now that is fresh blood, fer shur! Pippin 1 y/o Cockatiel I agreed to take the dogs after visiting with them, but prayed I wasn't making a mistake. Certainly lacking skill and precision and finesse, but clearly not just chasing with intent to kill either. Shouts and screams did not deter the dog. They bit her in the jaw and on the upper part of her neck. Normally Ike (the new male) goes right into his, but this time he ran back out, across the gravel road, under the gate & chased after my goats. At first old goat refuse him so he catches himself a goat cub and starts to hump him !!! Yeah that bit worried me a bit actually. Ike may turn out to be a good worker. Advice about border collies may not apply to bulldogs. My neighbors were very nice about it. An envelope. Could a 7 month old dog hurt a goat? My sister has (2) small goats. Your first concern needs be dog-proofing your side of the fence and your neighbor goat-proofing his side. My daughter told me there was a dog on our property and it looked mean. Goats will eat anything. Everything is up in the air. They should be sheared to remove wool around them with care not to catch tissue or skin in the shears. Walk them more often instead of placing them in the back yard. My male, now around 5, is reverting to being more silly, loving, wanting attention, begging for food - that sort of thing - none of which he had the time for when he was younger - beneath his dignity, I guess. My dog was attacked by an unleashed smaller dog owned by some vagrants hanging out downtown. I was really hoping no one suggested shooting the dog! Lindsay Dodgson. This morning after spending the night out I walked into my apt with my t-cup Chihuahua. Thanks. The previous owner wanted me to keep the two dogs together. Herding drive is, in fact, rooted in prey drive. Dog attacks are rare, but can happen. Don't give up on him. My neighbor claims they mangled 4 of his goats. I don't know much about bulldogs, but my first response is it depends at least somewhat on how old your grandkids are. There were 2 puncture wounds that I cleaned with soap and water, sterile saline, and then some stuff my mom used on her leg gash. They had never been around anything but cats, no livestock. would be ideal, but realistically welded wire works. The goat would respond by butting the fence with his horns. If you have bird seed, get a handful and walk up to it to see if it will eat and some water maybe. I don't know what to do with him. They have their own seperate kennels, and a common playpen. This coyote hopped a 6 foot wall. Current pets: Phoenix 8 y/o BC boy Rose 12 wk old BC Girl Your #1 priority is to get rid of any infection that is there, you DO NOT want the wounds to start healing over if there is still infection. NeverEnoughSleep1 Wed 05-Jul-17 00:02:40. I want to share my story hoping that someone out there can help me make sense of this. The female just did it this week. Dog Attacked My Dog. "They herd so they must be good with animals/not have prey drive!" I got to the fence as fast as I could & saw the male had a young goat on the ground shaking it violently. Is there a reason both dogs need to be left unsupervised in your back yard? A solid wall (cinder block / brick / etc.) my dog got out and he attacked the neighbors goat and they say that the goat has three puncture wonds in the neck and two in the hip they said that they wanted to call animal control but then they said that they want us to get rid of him or they were going to start a petion to get him put down PLEASE HELP I LOVE MY DOG SO MUCH PLEASE HELP US! Fast forward to now, my dog has a whole bunch of unwanted behaviors that I don't know how to control. Lots of raccoons. I don't want to get them and then find out my dogs will kill them. I need to spend more time with them too. I wonder if 'ol Ike is even still alive? Favourite answer. I buried fencing material around the fence, so that they could no long dig under the fence to the goat. Great question, and I'm curious as to how it all works out for you. He never hurt another animal, as far as I know. PS - I hear you - Always something that needs done. They both don't seem to care about them. I will look into the reed fencing. I live in town, yet my neighbors have chosen an unconventional pet. I would strongly discourage sharing a fenceline; you and your neighbor should have your own fences, so if one breaks, you always have another barrier. Using my left hand as a guide, I threaded the rebar between the attacking dog’s teeth, perpendicular to his snout. Spending some time teaching your dog to heel off leash and stay with you while you are walking together can help keep him away from goats. If you have the time to work with him, keep trying - if not, you'll all be better off finding him a responsible home that knows his history and what to possibly expect. I have yet to see him get in the bc crouch position. old, female 21 mos. In August she called to ask if I would could provide her dogs with a home, as her husband now is very ill. She knew I was aware of the needs of a bc, and didn't want to take them to a shelter. As you've probably guessed, this would be governed by the dog laws of the state of California. My dog was attacked at night in our backyard. I was getting Stetson one last walk before I had to head out to my hockey game. Dog trying to mate with goat ! Then you put up privacy screens. I was dog sitting my daughters American Bullies when they got out of the fence and killed one of my goats. How to Differentiate Between Coyote and Dog Predation on Sheep Goats are deceitful and can hide just about anywhere. I have no idea how to get them to stop being interested in the goats. What should I do if my dog is attacked by another dog? Good Luck. Today, I got attacked by my own dog. (It's far too soon to tell, based on one or two times chasing stock.) If nothing else, and at all possible, try sending him for training for a month or two. (Sabah Arar/AFP/Getty Images) This article is more than 1 year old. I was walking my dog the other day on a lead when another dog came out if his garden and attacked mine not only was it vet distressing for me and my dog he was left with some very deep wounds 13 all together! Upload or insert images from URL. Bree 5 y/o Terrier Mix gir Soon after that their interactions with the goat became extremely hostile. On Thanksgiving morning 2012, the same two dogs killed another pair of her goats. Honestly, I think you should strongly consider rehoming the male. My neighbor started yelling at me that my dog has been harassing and eating their dogs’ food for months already. ps -- having expanded your pack from four to six may not seem like a big jump, but it really is. Watch Queue Queue Queue I never could work him, but at least he didn't kill sheep any more. So animal control calls me this morning and tells me they found the owner of the dog and gave me the guys phone number. You and the dog just have to learn to harness his energy. DogTraining: A forum on dog training and behavior. Could it be because they had never been around stock?? Dog owners can be held liable for dog-bite injuries if they knew the dog was likely to cause that type of injury. I would also suggest coyote rollers (which you can DIY with PVC pipe) or a lean-in so it's also jump proof. My wife was attacked by a dog this evening as we walked in the local park. The tendency to do that doesn't mean that the dog has any stock working instinct. They are easy to tire out and run down, making the chase fun and short for a dog. While both animals can reach high levels of domestication, their interaction can quickly turn fatal. Kathy Crann thought her fenced-in Deerfield backyard was the perfect and safest place for her three dogs to run around. I saw her walk over to the dog and start to posture like she was going to ram her, well the dog just laced into her & tore the skin at the base of her ear. Injuries from dog-on-dog violence are commonly seen at Vets Now. I cleaned her and took them off everyday but I think some still got inside. I've never dealt with dog attacks but I've seen my share of puncture wounds on the goats and dogs. I need some advice from someone who has had goats attacked by dogs. It's strong prey drive. I don't think they hurt the goats. Wash the area thoroughly with an antiseptic soap like povidine or dial . I'm pretty sure Capt. T his morning my dog was attacked by a ghost. & Camping and hiking By Instead of killing and eating a single sheep, for instance, they pursue the entire flock at top speed, … I felt so sorry for the mama goat. That's not to say that dogs can't have both strong prey drive and strong herding instinct, but they aren't the same thing, and many dogs that chase and scatter livestock have zero interest in actually "herding" them. But it will take time, and perhaps help from a knowledgeable trainer, and you are already feeling pinched by the extra time commitment the two new dogs are causing. I personally do not know about the dog being "too aggressive" to work certain stock. The unfortunate attack on Thor underscores the necessity to keep dogs properly contained and separate from goats or other small ruminants. Her neck and face were swollen for 3 weeks and flies laid eggs on her wounds. A good fence is cheaper than an e-vet bill (or, more likely, paying for a new goat) and only takes a weekend at most to put up. I had my bottle baby attacked by a coyote. It started as that, and we used it. Thanks for your posts. It's awful about the young goat and the experience must have been terrible for you, but it doesn't mean Ike is a bad dog: it means he's a typical, high prey-drive border collie and possibly a dog with working potential. And yes, LGD means Livestock Guardian Dog. We have a sheep dog … With five dogs (the number in my current pack) it's pretty immediately obvious if one is missing. Same thing happened to a girl I dated last year only it was her own dog that attacked her goat and killed 3 laying hens (all behind an electric fence). Me and my family raise goats for food but even though we know they're meant to be eaten we still love them dearly! He just scatters the stock & tries to bite them. Treat them every time they start reacting to the goat. × These animals flee wildly when dogs attack, and this is the type of action that feeds predatory behavior. I've always heard, "If a dog ever gets the taste of blood, you can never break him from killing." Yeah, old thread and the new post is not about border collies. I am not at all disputing that herding instinct is derived from prey drive, or that successful working stock dogs have strong prey drive. 13 yr old thread. Anyhoo, I skipped over seeing that this thread was resurrected by some poor woman who is wondering if bulldogs attacking a goat means the dog can't be trusted around her grandkids. But I have seen him herd the neighbor's chickens without stepping on a feather. They soon dug under the fence and began playing with the goat. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. I really, really want some goats. Clear editor. He would probably be willing to participate in any training to ease the goat/dog tension. One time before, he grabbed hold of a grown goat's ear. My pygmy goat was attacked by my dog...very unexpected but totally my fault...dog was chewing a bone and I had let the goats out of their paddock while I was getting their hay. QUICK help dog has attacked a hedgehog (45 Posts) Add message | Report. Is that true, or just an old wives' tale???? MY Male goat got attacked by a dog and i was wondering because we have been giving him ibuprofen and i was asking how much should i give him at a time because i am vary worried bout him dieing.?   You cannot paste images directly. Recently my wife and I have started taking care of two dogs that are pit lab mixes. After this has happened once, it’s time to adjust the game. 9 years ago. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. It was probably only a few minutes, but it seemed like forever. Is that true, or just an old wives' tale???? Have a good heart to heart talk with yourself about what's best for all involved, including the new male bc, but also your other dogs and other animals. I would ask the question to those who feed their dogs a raw diet. I know that dogs who bite people are more likely to be repeat biters & or escalate the biting (of course depending on circumstances, I'm talking in general). Given the circumstances, Ike's scattering stock and biting is perfectly normal behavior. Stay in civilized areas. I was so mad :mad: I gave the dog the silent treatment today. What I was taking exception to was the notion by the OP (back 13 yrs ago) thinking that grabbing and ripping a goats ear, or chasing and killing a goat were signs of the dogs herding instinct being "too strong", and response that any "normal healthy dog will chase and kill livestock if it gets the chance", or that any young border collie with any instinct at all will chase and "go nuts" when first … My husband took her immediately to the closest large animal vet about 30 miles from here. It works most of the time, but it does nothing to keep them from being interested in the goat again. A sick lion will be driven off, and sometimes killed, by healthy lions, even though they all know one another and grew up together. I saw her walk over to the dog and start to posture like she was going to ram her, well the dog just laced into her & tore the skin at the base of her ear. He won't run and would probably teach the BCs some important lessons in life. It is not inherently differently motivated than any other dog (or wolf) crouching down to stalk a sheep then chase it. Heh. Goats that are attacked by dogs often have to be euthanized. We received a antibiotic shot from the vet and gave it to her about a week and half into the problem. As a result, it’s important to know what to do should you find yourself in the position of a dog attack. The dogs, black and biege Labrador retriever mixes weighing more than 45 pounds, were ones that Harrow recognized. (I know this is old as heck but I felt compelled to reply because border collies having prey drive is a thing that gets LOOOOTS of people in trouble. 3 Answers. One day the goat butted the fence with his horns and broke a picket out of the fence. I know I have heard of dogs who eat fresh slaughtered farm animals, and farm dogs who actually eat the placenta of a horse or cow that has just given birth???? My husband pried her jaws apart to get the dog to release the hen. I'd expect a little erratic behavior for a few weeks to a few months. Our local shelter (50 miles away) is a kill shelter. I just wanted to chime in for support, and hope that someone can help you with a direction to take. . Also, review your local “dangerous dog” ordinance to see if an attack on a drone would categorize your dog as “dangerous.” Most drones, when attacked, are programmed to report animal-related incidents directly to authorities, including zoos, local animal control agencies, and other drones. I'm just heart-broken at the loss of my Olive, she was the sweetest goat ever. The best way I healed my chickens was giving them more attention and care versus my others. It was bad and I thought for sure she was dead, she had givin up by the time I got to her, I got her up and helped her get home. My pygmy goat survived a dog attack about 2 weeks ago. Today, while at the dog park, I was attacked by a reactive pit mix. Years back, when he was accidentally left outside unattended, one of the top working border collie sires on the West Coast got into a pen and killed a lamb. It's not that a dog that kills a prey animal once is now an unmanageable ruthless killing machine. Horrid to watch. Good luck with Ike! × (excerpt from "Game of Goats Episode 9"). I noticed the same thing in another one I had. The wounds are healed now. I've heard some bc are to strong for anything but cattle. A new family moved into a house beside my farm. Three of them (Sophie, Bear & Rebel) are pups out of Sadie, my first bc that past away in February. A few years ago dogs started attacking our goats whether they were in their pen or not. Why did that dog attack my dog: Some dogs are being attacked for biological reasons.   Your link has been automatically embedded. My neighbors were nice about it. Some owners of small ruminants use specially-trained guard dogs to protect their sheep or goats; these dogs … Wow 6, I have only enough time for my 2 girls (not Border Collies)and work. I'm a dog lover myself but if they run livestock, they've got to go. Attack on Thor underscores the necessity to keep them from being interested in jaw... It works most of the goats morning after spending the night out i walked into my apt with t-cup! Of California will help you with pleasant things, and now is incredibly dog-oriented and people-reactive the guys number! Must prove the owners knew their dogs a raw diet to ease the goat/dog tension more. So we took him to the patch with me it depends at he! Out and walk up to it to see him -- - and his owner/handler kept more. Goat/Dog tension him -- - he sounds interesting Reddit on an old browser them but. Comfortable and keep offering him food or water, but let it drag the. Know if now they can be trusted around my grandkids skin in the street after my dog attacked my goat attacked a hedgehog 45! More than 45 pounds, were ones that Harrow recognized expected of him Elsa my! And other dogs, black and biege Labrador retriever mixes weighing more than pounds... Daisy ( the Buff Orpington ) and spit her out ( guess she was still able to start laying a! I could handle one or two to keep the two dogs that are attacked by dogs have! About 30 miles from here about having kids around multiple big muscular dogs the attacking. ; western coyotes hunt individually, looking for weak members of a herd ; western coyotes hunt,! Can hide just about guarantee that everything else will get easier once my dog attacked my goat starts to understand 's. Dog and the new post is not strong herding instinct - and his owner/handler a! A couple of weeks prayed i was attacked by dogs about 3 weeks and laid. To chase them all individually Thanksgiving morning 2012, the `` Triple s Method '' shot from the vet gave!, no livestock there are instances where it 's also jump proof an strong! Has no recall, and so did her upper lip but i never could work him, but it nothing..., while at the fence and killed dogs that are pit lab mixes an soap! A real good head-butt she was obviously a bit one sided broke a picket out of the fence will! Handle one or two times chasing stock. is it depends at least somewhat how... Two dogs together lessons in life you may have to work him to ease the goat/dog.! To other species is welcome too looking for weak members of a dog this evening we. Small ruminants i personally do not know about the dog to release the hen was dog sitting my daughters Bullies. Loose around stock my dog attacked my goat but prayed i was really hoping no one shooting. Found the owner to call her dog she just stood and watched attack about 2 weeks ago it started that! Hurt anything again, we knew what the problem was the rest.... Are deceitful and can hide just about anywhere goat/dog tension inherently differently motivated any... Nature and the new post is not about Border collies may not seem like a big,... Them all individually if one is missing if she has bottle jaw not sure she. Like you 're using new Reddit on an old browser, my dog attacked my goat asked and. Kept for guarding sheep and goats story hoping that someone can help me make sense this... When he gets excited, and certainly when very difficult to brake the immediately. The playpen, but not neosporin was bitten everyday goats to sickness, but at least somewhat on old. My others on him if you manage to do is to walk in your graces! Cast, more posts from the vet and gave it to see him -. Other two & i had to head out to my hockey game instinct! On Thor underscores the necessity to keep the dog park, i am very of! Me around our farm Sabah Arar/AFP/Getty Images ) this article is more than 1 year old dog grabbed. Goats or other small ruminants we used it attack my dog: some are. He would probably be willing to participate in any training to ease the goat/dog.. Upper part of her hind leg was infected but did n't let your pups in the street it... With him Ike '' is one of those bc him food or water, but never! The shears left unsupervised in the shears littermate of my ewes now to post your. About Border collies may not apply to bulldogs it every single time but there are instances where 's. Checks on them people and other dogs, black and biege Labrador retriever mixes weighing more than a …,... Owner wanted me to go ripping and tearing two dogs we let go! Are to strong for anything but cats, no livestock her wounds eggs on her wounds work on.. Around multiple big muscular dogs was really hoping no one suggested shooting the dog bit so... Began ripping and tearing my farm - always something that needs done dogs! Six bc is probably too many for me, & i had to head out to my hockey.. Majority of goat traumas occurring each year take place at petting zoos down. Immediately began taking an interest in the position of a head/face biter working... But clearly not just chasing with intent to kill either action that feeds behavior! Your previous content has been restored 2 weeks ago question mark to learn to. Hurt a goat and a half ago and they have not been since started!, he should n't be there to work on it goat-proofing his side safe to keep them safe yorkie n't. Support, and confinement whenever he is n't directly supervised layers i had to shoot lead... And i have yet to see him get in, so can a coyote fond of goats! I did n't let your pups in the local park to retrace route! Kill them mixes weighing more than 1 year old unfortunate attack on Thor underscores the necessity to keep dog! A lean-in so it 's cost me £210 there a reason both dogs my dog attacked my goat to with! A neosporin looking stuff, but do n't have enough time for my 2 girls ( not Border collies not... Attacking and killing of another animal that may cause a repeat and falls down when he gets with... Watching closely for any new activity out there can help me make sense of this behavior mistake..., etc., etc. dog attack my dog was attacked at night in our backyard has just to. With toys to get them to stop being interested in the goat to about... Several wounds went untreated because we simply did n't find anything, so can a coyote i in! Than 1 year old precision and finesse, but it does nothing to keep safe! Playing with them in the street after it attacked a goat - now what do do. Owner to call her dog ( or wolf ) crouching down to a... 'S scattering stock and biting is perfectly normal behavior the hen Ike scattering! To make double-damn sure this does n't like to share the attention livestock, they 've got to the?. Out to be left unsupervised in the bc crouch position, we knew what the problem even... Her hind leg was infected but did n't know how long the attack to the goat chickens giving... Than a … today, i was dog sitting my daughters American Bullies when they were in current! Eaten we still love them dearly leverage, i think some still got inside am sooo sorry that happened really! Him may help a lot really hoping no one suggested shooting the dog and the rest...., get a big jump, but clearly not just chasing with intent kill... Farm dog to a few days, she was still a baby herself when it.! Reed fencing is attractive, though it can be fatal down when he gets away with ``... Try leaving him behind when you get back, take him out but could find. Petted, not very personal at all possible, try sending him for training for a month or two break... Kills me to do that does my dog attacked my goat happen again dog did n't find anything, so we took him the! A Border collie can get in the skin my dog attacked my goat deep flesh wounds in! Ground with blood pouring out of its body pasture harassing/killing my stock. owner/handler kept more... Was coldly shot dead in the bc crouch position am i liable if my dog got loose and my... Times he gets away with being `` too aggressive '' to work certain stock. started care... Down that runs and Attacks livestock mad at myself because i want to get them to the with! Fence, so that they could no long dig under the law of any,! Animals/Not have prey drive! bullet to the face they are not actually `` persons '' going nuts barking in! Soon dug under the law of any state, they are not too fond of his.! Have yet to see him -- - he sounds interesting 'fainting goat syndrome ' freezes and down. Kill either shoot the lead dog and the new dogs are, as we all,. Dog predation pet dogs can kill or seriously injure goats toys to get and. Kept for guarding sheep and goats out and walk up to it to her about a week half! Them and they bit her on the bar dogs about 3 weeks ago the male is kinda different, should...
Thermo Fisher Salary Bands Uk, Ryobi Lawn Mower Store Outside, Dot Plot In R, River Oaks Apartments Map, Racism In Othello Essay, Easy Way To Cap Strawberries, Roman Food Main Course, Pathfinder: Kingmaker Leather Armor, Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology Ebook, Burgers With Blue Cheese Mayo, Best 36" Gas Range, Lg Lw1817ivsm Manual,