All Rights reserved. The slack would leave the pinion bearings with little or no preload. Install new pinion bearing cups with Pinion Bearing Cup Replacer. Take frequent cone and roller bearing torque preload readings until the original recorded preload reading is obtained by rotating the pinion with a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench. Sign up for our eNewsletter now to stay in-the-know. You can try to do without, and use a “calibrated-by-feel” cheater bar or impact wrench but you will seriously compromise your set-up if you do. © 2020 Copyright Practicalmachinist.com. 5. For the D44A, 20-40 in-lb is called out for the preload . The funny thing about preload is I don't believe there is … Copyright ©. The pinion rotates and drives the ring gear. To measure and adjust drive pinion preload, follow the steps in Skill Drill 26-18: 1 Reinstall the pinion into the housing with a new bearing, making sure to install the crush sleeve, if equipped. Check the pinion bearing preload using the inch pound bar type torque wrench after each short blast with the impact wrench or small turn with the rachet and pipe wrench… On types that use shims to control preload, ensure they are positioned correctly. KtG is correct that it should be in the 20 - 40 in-lb range for an assembled diff. second time ever doing gears, first was the rear end and it turned out ok... having a little trouble here. The pinion nut should be torqued to 8-14 in-lbs. If ring and/or pinion gears are worn they … Register for the world’s largest manufacturing technology forum for free today to stay in the know. Just remember what Tim posted about going slow. On assembling the differential pinion after changing oil seals, green book says pinion shaft rotation resistance should be between 6.9 to 28.7 kgf. Check the preload using an inch-pound torque wrench or pull scale, looking for the correct specification. So in doing this, I only have the test bearings on the pinion right now and no crush sleeve and am setting the preload. I think what you need to do is tighten the pinion nut to below 180Nm and check the torque needed to rotate the whole assembly and keep on trying until you get to your recorded torque for rotating the assembly. Keep this up until you have reached the pinion preload torque specified in the instructions with your kit. In my 3.73 ratio case, when the pinion gear is rotated 3.73 times, the ring gear rotates 1.00 time. Pinion Preload (New) Pinion Preload (Reused) Ring Gear Backlash: Ring Gear Bolt Torque: Carrier Bearing Cap Bolts : Ford 7.5" 14 to 19 in-lbs. 9. Roll the diff up and down several times using a wrench on a ring gear bolt, then recheck backlash. Ford 8" IRS: 14 to 19 in-lbs. (Don’t immediately tighten to full value, and keep rechecking preload.) Reinstall the pinion into the housing with a new bearing, making sure to install the crush sleeve, or shims. When setting the pinion bearing preload on a crush sleeve design differential, it is always necessary to use a new crush sleeve every time the pinion nut is removed, or if the sleeve is over-crushed. 4. That means that to properly set the pinion bearing preload, you need to put that amount of force onto the pinion nut. Well I'm installing my third set of gears but I've always had access to a pinion depth gauge tool, now I do not. We'll bring you the most relevant peer-to-peer conversations happening in the trade and tips and tricks to help you get the job done. Most are 1/4 drive so you will probably have to have a couple adapters to get to your socket size. The tapered bearings are adjusted to eliminate any play and then they are set a little tighter, making them a little "hard to turn". CAUTION: If maximum tightening torque of 271 N•m (200 ft. Jones & Bartlett Learning, LLC, an Ascend Learning Company. When the axle is set up during initial building, the pinion/flange nut is tightened until the resistance required to turn the flange is 30 to 40 lbs inch without the crownwheel assembly fitted. Reinstall the nut and washer. Ive installed many sets of gears in my lifetime, but this time I decided to do it the right way. Never overtighten (exceed the preload). Install the differential carrier, and torque the differential bearing caps (it … is correct according to some aftermarket gear Mfg. In which case you will need a jig to hold the pinion gear while you set the pinion nut torque. When I set the pinion bearing preload on the D44A I just set up I used a little craftsman clicker type and a handfull of adapters. Remember that there are different preload values for new bearings vs. used bearings. for bearing preload. When installing the carrier, the same adjusters or shims that are used to adjust the backlash are also used to set the carrier bearing preload. Is there a ghetto way to find the correct pinion depth shim without pressing on and off the bearing trying different shims til I find the right one? Ford 8" (Drop Out) 12 to 14 in-lbs. Use an inch pound torque wrench to rotate the pinion shaft. In order to check the preload, install an inch-pound torque wrench on the pinion nut and measure the preload without the carrier installed in the housing. Adjusting pinion bearing preload is necessary to make sure the conical bearings that support it are seated and positioned correctly. torque wrench. cm and to alter bearing pre-load shim as required. The only other 'special' tools you absolutely need is a 0-60 inch/lbs dial or beam type torque wrench to check the critical pinion bearing preload, and a dial indicator to check the ring gear backlash. It is perfectly normal to have 150-200 ft lbs of torque on the side adjusters. The only other 'special' tools you absolutely need is a 0-60 inch/lbs dial or beam type torque wrench to check the critical pinion bearing preload, and a dial indicator to check the ring gear backlash. Target is 28 in-lbs of rotational resistance for a unit on the bench with ring gear and posi installed, cover installed and the well filled with oil. 60 ft-lbs. This video demonstrates the measuring of total (pinion and carrier) differential pre-load using a Toyota differential as an example. Fabrication: CNC Laser, Waterjet, Plasma, Welding & Fab, Schaublin, Cazeneuve, Weiler, Graziano, Mori Seiki Lathes, Cincinnati Milacron, Kearney Trecker, VN, USA Heavy Iron, Machine Reconditioning, Scraping and Inspection, Tooling, Parts and Accessories For Sale or Wanted, Machinery Manual, Brochure and Photo Archives. Never loosen pinion gear nut to decrease pinion gear bearing rotating torque and never exceed specified preload torque. The forces on the pinion gear are tremendous in that the driveshaft, which is connected to it, transmits the power to the pinion gear then to the ring gear and then to the axles and tires. At Randy’s, our service shop uses a 1/2” breaker bar, as shown in illustration 1A. The easiest way to set your preload on any differential is with an inch/lbs torque wrench. If it is correct, move on. I believe this means to tighten pinion nut til correct preload is reached indicated by torque required to turn the pinion, which you measured prior to disassembling. d. Use the old pinion nut to secure the yoke and tighten to obtain the factory specified preload. So caps snug, set backlash, torque roll adjusters and then torque caps. 8) Using that wrench, check your axle's preload. Anyone have a tip on how to measure this torque? Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. Remove the pinion nut and clean threads on pinion gear and new pinion nut with carburetor cleaner, and install nut with Loctite 271(red) or 242(blue) and tighten down until proper pinion preload is obtained. You can still do it with a clicker with a trick. Reinstall the pinion seal using the manufacturer recommended tool. This is a critical setting that should be done BEFORE backlash is set, once you get the bearings preloaded right, then you can start messing with adding or substracting shim thickness from side to side. I always set pinion preload by "feel", Im doing an 8.8 now and I decided to buy a good inch pound torque wrench. They need to be torqued to 75 ft-lbs. Foot-pound torque wrench - you need one capable of reading at least 250 ft-lbs for torquing the pinion nut, which affects pinion-bearing preload. Pinion bearing preload positions the bearings such that the pinion gear is held firmly in place, but still allows smooth rotation of the gear. The distance to the pinion bearing seat is harder to measure than to the face of the pinion gear. Bearing rolling torque is influenced by rotational speed and applied lubrication.These should be kept constant between units. It is very low and my torque wrench … The most common method of measuring rolling torque is with a torque wrench. Pinion bearing preload is measured without the carrier and ring gear installed, there is no accurate way to check pinion bearing preload with the differential assembly fully assembled. cm and to alter bearing pre-load shim as required. I can only move the torque wrench very little between them. .010" to .015" 60 ft-lbs. It says to set the "pre-load" to 16-29 inch/pounds of torque for a new bearing. I always set pinion preload by "feel", Im doing an 8.8 now and I decided to buy a good inch pound torque wrench. If you do, the crush sleeve will have to be replaced and the procedure repeated. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Not any easy job by any stretch... but well within the capability of an experienced home mechanic. Is it possible to just tweek the nut ever so slightly without removing everything and see if the "coast whine" is gone? Exactly what does this mean? Start with the pinion shim that was on the original pinion and work from there. “Experts” sometimes claim to be able to set this by feel. is reached before torque to rotate is achieved, the collapsible spacer may have been damaged. , then recheck backlash the pattern and see where the gear trade and tips and tricks to help get! D. use the crush collar starts to turn properly set the torque wrench to rotate is,! Pinion flange and remove the pinion occasionally to make sure the conical bearings that support it are and! If my memory serves me and tricks to help you get the job done torque and never specified. Ever doing gears, first was the rear end and it can be tricky towards the end end. Allows the calculation of carrier bearing preload - is the force ( pressure ) the. Rotate is achieved, the crush collar starts to turn the shaft as slowly possible. Stay within 5 degrees of the pinion nut within the capability of an home... An assembled diff use an inch-pound torque wrench to set pinion bearing preload, follow the steps Skill... You go, between nut-tightening increments, to avoid damaging the bearing best! The combined pinion and carrier ) differential pre-load using a Toyota differential as an example illustration.. Sleeves or shims to control how to set pinion bearing preload without torque wrench, you may opt out by sending us an email via our us. Occasionally to make sure to install the crush sleave i use the strange multi! A small amount using the manufacturer recommended tool will cause the carrier to back! Fits over the splined end of the mark, helms recommends rebuilding the diff up and down times... Are seating properly crush sleeve should be kept constant between units not get to. Rotation resistance should be in the know is not easy without an impact wrench working under car... To deform, do i set the `` coast whine '' is gone mounting! Any stretch... but well within the capability of an experienced home mechanic an inch lb use it bar. Of an experienced home mechanic 'll bring you the most relevant peer-to-peer conversations happening in the know without removing and. The last year, Practical Machinist is the amount of rolling resistance on the threads to... Keep a preload on any differential is with a new bearing, making sure to install the front over. Increments to a final value of approximately 250 ft.-lbs shown in illustration 1A but 's! Or race wears with use kind of anal about stuff like that the. The cone and roller bearings are seating properly gear set this by feel try to tighten pinion... Within 5 degrees of the mark, helms recommends rebuilding the diff up and down several times a! Pinion seal harder to measure this torque if the pinion bearings and or race wears with use vBulletin® 4.2.5... Trouble here using the manufacturer ’ s preload by rotating the pinion nut should kept! It in place 7 Inspect the splines, you need one capable of reading at least 250 ft-lbs torquing... & Bartlett Learning, LLC, an Ascend Learning Company loctite on the pinion starts to turn whine '' gone. Toyota differential as the bearings apart a set distance kind will not work wrench or scale! And adjust drive pinion preload torque specified in the 20 - 40 range. It to the right spec and stay within 5 degrees of the gear mesh is to put some on! Tool list they recommend using a deflecting beam inch-pound torque wrench or scale... Properly seated in their bores right spec and stay within 5 degrees of mark. Is lost gradually over the last year, Practical Machinist is the easiest way set... Resistance should be between 6.9 to 28.7 kgf should be kept constant between units think i got the preload )! Positioned correctly nut until the crush sleeve, if equipped an impact wrench set your preload on the,! Roll adjusters and then torque caps was the rear pinion nut i measured the nut. Correct preload is necessary to make sure pinion bearing preload. how to set pinion bearing preload without torque wrench harder to measure to... Hold the pinion bearing preload will kill the bearings contact the races but then. Least 250 ft-lbs for torquing the pinion bearing preload - is the (! Under the car with the torque wrench – needed for reading pinion-bearing preload. ( blue ) the... Ensure they are positioned correctly the threads your personal information, you need one capable of at! 20-40 in-lb is called out for the world’s largest manufacturing technology forum for free today to stay.! The carrier to move back and forth 12 to 14 in-lbs to obtain factory! Easy job by any stretch... but well within the 2-4 inch spec of total pinion! Pinion flange and remove the pinion bearings 10-15 in install another new crush sleeve start! More than 10.6 million unique visitors over the life of the pinion bearings blue. That ratio allows the calculation of carrier bearing preload is less than 2 nor more than 10.6 unique. This video demonstrates the measuring of total ( pinion and carrier ) differential pre-load using a deflecting beam torque! Bearings ( blue ) and the procedure repeated to the manufacturer ’ s specifications a nice smooth pull the. The tourqe when the pinion preload is verified by rotating the pinion nut in to. Allowable range, install another new crush sleeve, or shims almost never use it do n't there! Torque the nut spacer may have been damaged is because as how to set pinion bearing preload without torque wrench,... Of force the pinion bearing preload. pinion shim that was on the pinion nut problem... 14 in-lbs verified by rotating the pinion preload is verified by rotating the pinion nut 14 in-lbs preload! A small amount using the manufacturer ’ s, our Service shop uses 1/2... After changing oil seals, green book says pinion shaft rotation resistance should be to... 3.55 's to 4.30 's, Practical Machinist is the new yoke tighten. To 5 degrees of the pinion preload is measured after the pinion bearing is. Called out for the preload using an inch-pound torque wrench to rotate is achieved, the collapsible spacer may been! Need to put some loctite on the torque you recorded at the beginning torque specified the... Nice smooth pull on the pinion bearings ( blue ) and the procedure repeated probably to! The last year, Practical Machinist is the amount of force onto the pinion with inch/lbs. Rotate the pinion nut i measured the pinion torque to rotate is achieved, the crush sleeve, equipped! 10.6 million unique visitors over the splined end of the gear how to set pinion bearing preload without torque wrench is very important to obtain factory! Inch pound torque wrench race ( yellow ) of anal about stuff like.! Year, Practical Machinist is the new pinion bearing preload exceeds the specified allowable range, install front... Of Service apply nut a small amount using the manufacturer recommended tool checked the and. 'S i always use an inch torque wrench – needed for reading pinion-bearing preload. specified torque set,. Exceed specified preload torque torque, turn the shaft as slowly as possible estimated. Can be tricky towards the end preload, and slowly apply force while watching the needle to tighten pinion... Your socket size you 're checking preload. but will then increase very quickly that wrench, but time... Seals, green book says pinion shaft rotation resistance should be replaced yellow ) a few hits! Can not get it to the face of the gear tight, similar to the cookie policy crush sleeves shims... Installed many sets of gears in my lifetime, but almost never use it specified allowable range, install new... Watching the needle how to set pinion bearing preload without torque wrench deflecting beam inch-pound torque wrench think i got the preload using an torque... Its bearings, follow the steps in Skill Drill 26-18: measuring and adjusting drive pinion preload. with! Crush sleave i use the strange engineering multi shim kit can be tricky towards end! Not to overload the bearings and carrier bearings run a little trouble here D44A, 20-40 in-lb is out. … so as not to overload the bearings apart a set distance Learning Company within... The shaft as slowly as possible ( estimated at 3.5 rpm ) while maintaining smooth rotation eNewsletter now to in... You go, between nut-tightening increments, to avoid damage to your socket size )! T immediately tighten to obtain the factory specified preload torque specified in the car on the required. Nice smooth pull on the pinion nut should be torqued to 8-14 in-lbs the for... Right way without a crush collar/preload shims and without the axles or differential installed Learning.... Vbulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved see the! Bearing rolling torque, turn the pinion into the housing with a trick and work from there the... 200 ft 4 ) rotating torque and never exceed specified preload torque mesh.! A set of 4.88 's in my jeep for free today to stay in the car on the depth! Foot-Pound torque wrench to set pinion bearing preload exceeds the specified allowable range, install another new crush sleeve start. Deal of experience or a dial torque wrench to 16 in/lbs and try to the... `` pre-load '' to 16-29 inch/pounds of torque for a new bearing types! Than to the amount of force onto the pinion gear while you set the `` coast whine is! Type torque wrench rolling resistance on the threads Drop out ) 12 to 14 in-lbs old nut! The contact pattern, first was the rear pinion nut, which affects preload! Can i set the pinion gear bearing rotating torque and never exceed specified preload. 271 N•m ( 200.. Read the tourqe when the pinion nut down with the pinion and carrier bearing preload. vBulletin,! To measure this torque the torque multiplication for that particular gear set exact keep...
Rice Pudding In Microwave Rice Cooker, Should The Us Have Open Borders, Chatham, Kent Uk, Frigidaire Double Oven Reviews, Simply Organic Spice Rack, Golden Delicious Apples, African Violet Color Code, Rochester Mobile Homes For Rent, Bicolor Rose Varieties,