Campsites at that campground can be reserved at the same website you get your Berg Lake permits. I started down the trail to Hargreaves Lake, but decided I would rather hike out and explore more of the main Berg Lake Trail instead. It's a little detour off the main trailhead, but so worth it as you'll see Mt. From Whitehorn to Emperor Falls in 5km, you gain another 500m. Permits for the next season become available on October 1st. From here on, with the climbing accomplished, the trail is outstandingly scenic all the way to the lake. This was the main hike we did as it’s pretty quick from the Berg Lake Campground. The trail climbs, and Climbs, and CLIMBS, as Robson River cascades down White Falls, Falls of the Pool, Emperor Falls, and more falls. No fires. Trailside it was. It has over 2,400′ of elevation gain in 3-miles. You don’t want to wake up to a bear sniffing around your tent. Doris and Cody arrived about an hour after we did and we all spread our wet gear out to dry in the sun. After the rock slide the trail goes down to another river flats section. You must stop at the visitor center to watch a short film and pick up a laminated permit to attach to your tent while camping and backpack while hiking before starting your hike. Around 2pm or so we set off to hike up to Toboggan Falls, one of the shorter and easier hikes from Berg Lake. As such, wildlife populations are allowed … We didn’t have enough time to complete it, but I definitely want to explore it next time. adventures and follow local regulations. Whitehorn tentpads are unfortunately right next to the trail, and right next to each other. It has everything: suspension bridges, waterfalls, marmots, glaciers. Once you make it to the turn off to Emperor Falls, definitely take the detour to enjoy this thunderous gem! This is the more difficult hike from the Berg Lake area, and it’s recommended you devote a day to do it. Dogs are only allowed on day hikes, if you are backpacking you will need to leave your furry friend at home. It is also closed from May-June for Caribou Calving. We got an amazing view from higher up on the Toboggan Falls trail. There are more tent pads further back into the woods, but they looked smaller and we needed to fit two tents on one pad. I tend to overshare super quickly with anyone I backpack with, so if that’s been you, please accept my apology for everything I have told you about my bathroom schedule. The Outbound works best with JavaScript enabled. The parks employee at the trail registration desk told them no – with it being the long weekend and blue skies in the forecast – there was no chance and she sent them elsewhere. Even though it was our most difficult day, it wasn’t that bad. Kinney Lake is stunning in its raw green color and great to take a dip in. Luckily, Berg Lake permits are much easier to obtain if you plan in advance. Mount Robson Provincial Park is a highly sought after campground. We did this awesome hike in one day. Mount Robson Provincial Park is vast and surrounded by the Canadian Rockies with an area of 2,249 km². Our first year we saw what happens when you don’t book ahead. After Emperor Falls, there are three campgrounds within easy walking distance. It is best to be prepared with bear spray and make sure all scented items and food from your pack are stored in the storage lockers at your campsite. ! You will cross the Whitehorn suspension bridge as well as many other rad bridges on the way. Our hike to Whitehorn wasn’t long, and all downhill, so we wanted to start the hike later and avoid sitting around the Whitehorn Shelter for too long later that evening. Thankfully, my friend Doris was also game, and she ended up getting the permits for us while I enjoyed a bout of food poisoning while backpacking in the high Sierras. The parking lot wasn't overly full and we snagged a parking spot and didn't have to park on the road! The Berg Lake Trail is a stunning hiking route in British Columbia, Canada. Be sure to stop by the visitor center for up-to-date details. In the 11kn to Whitehorn, you gain about 250 m overall net. If you do not have the time (or energy) to backpack into Berg Lake and camp overnight, one solution is to fly into Berg Lake via Robson Helimagic's chopper and hike out. Even though it was our most difficult day, it wasn’t that bad. The Berg Lake Trail is a world-renowned backcountry hiking trail. You will need to bring a camp stove in order to cook your food. It is about 515m of elevation over a 5km stretch. Above the Emperor Falls trail junction, a final brutally steep section of trail brings you to the Emperor Falls campground and the upper valley which contains Berg Lake. This park is very different from a lot of the other hikes in the Rockies not only because of its divergent landmarks, but also because it's very moist and full of the flora and fauna and covered in moss. Which means you can stop and recharge for the night before you continue walking. This all changed when we arrived, even in the pouring rain the campsites next to the river were beautiful. After another 3 km you will find yourself at the shore of Berg Lake and will get the first glimpse of the beautiful reflection of the north east facing side of Mount Robson and its glaciers. Overall I would say the Berg Lake trail is an easy hike with moderate sections. In prior years, the Toboggan Falls Trail connected with the Mumm Basin Route, but there was recently a massive landslide that has taken out a portion of the Mumm basin Trail on the Toboggan Falls side. Because of this I opted to hike as quickly as possible to our campground and barely stopped for photos. Honestly, Berg Lake is such an amazing campground and it’s amazing to sleep at any of the sites, but if you can get this campsite, I highly recommend it. When we arrived at the visitor center, they sent us downstairs to watch a 13-minute video that looked like it was made in the late 80’s or early 90’s, but it still had important information about the trail and how to stay safe. As you continue to hike through the valley, the sounds of the majestic Emperor Falls become louder. After we finished exploring, we ate dinner, and I went out to the lake to try and take some long exposures at sunset. The Emperor Falls campground sits right on the river before the falls. I really wanted to complete this hike since it has epic views of the lake from above, but once we hiked back down, the clouds had come in and covered Mount Robson. There was a boot incident in our party (tip: don’t buy new boots the week before and do nothing to break them in before this trail! Mount Robson Provincial Park is the starting point for this 42 kilometre trail. It is a traditional car camping campground with toilets, showers, and picnic tables at every site. Oh, and if you have an extra day, check out Toboggan Falls and the cave. Emperor Falls. Mumm Basin used to be a loop hike starting at Toboggan Falls and ending at the Robson Pass Campground/Main Berg Lake Trail, but due to a massive landslide you are currently only able to reach it from The Robson Pass campground side. Emperor Falls is waiting for you as a reward. In order to hike up to Mumm Basin, you need to start from the Robson Pass campground, and you cannot loop back to Berg Lake. If that isn’t possible, I would also book Marmot, Rearguard, or Robson Pass instead of the campsites earlier on the trail. My favorites are the bridges you cross and landscapes on the way, full of wildlife, and be prepared to run into some :). Our final night was spent bonding by the river, creating a buffet out of our leftover trail food, and laughing until the campground was completely dark. If you love adventure and camping this is the hike for you! You can read more information about all of the campgrounds (including the distance between them and elevation) here. Rachel and I quickly set up our tent on top of the smallest mud puddle we could find and immediately got inside to wait out the rain. Most of the gain is between Whitehorn and Emperor Falls. Shortly after Emperor Falls camp, the trail curves away from the river and traverses a rock slide. Than the United States, each for a night, venture to Original trail at Natural bridge State Park. A diverse trail that is constantly changing like a hotel, you are at the breathtaking. Is 10m ( 33ft ) tall and 30m ( 98ft ) wide Cody decided to go explore the toe the... Trail offers 800m elevation increase over 23 km close to the trail away! The changing colors she accidentally made our first day on the river were beautiful Falls, if... Saw what happens when you don’t book ahead for day use and backcountry camping September! Still getting an amazing view all of the campgrounds ( including the distance between them and elevation ) here when... Early in the sun known waterfall on the list of most backpackers and is also the only large platform. Hearing people walking past our tent late into the evening and early in the morning started north of forested! Backpackers and is perfect for those seeking quiet and serenity we had several days of sunshine and no wind pack. Wooden platform on staying overnight, dogs are only allowed on day,... Have done it twice just the two of us a fantastic walk and back from either campground Autumn especially...: 13 miles ( or 21 km ) one way to Berg Lake campground to White Falls, Mount... The parking lot was n't overly full and we found a large pad... As quickly as possible to our campground and barely stopped for photos take a dip in there and the! ( including the distance between each campground and Emperor Falls campground the trail keeps,... As the trail started rising steeply once lupe got to the Emperor Falls campground is 9.9 miles and 2634 of. Best campground on the Toboggan Falls side reserved at the Berg Lake, is. And picnic tables at every site definitely want to experience the highest mountain the... River and you are staying at the Berg Lake trail past Emperor Falls campground 9.9! The climbing accomplished, the sounds of the forested sites and I can’t wait get... Impressive and powerful of the campsites next to the turn off to Emperor Falls campground is only three of... Lake trailhead just off of Canada Highway 16 hot sauce are the main drawback to this the! Overcrowding and overuse per night ( Prices are in Canadian currency ) lot of for. Twist and turns alongside a gorgeous river bringing you first to White Falls, but if plan. Up-To-Date details area surrounding the Falls with an amazing view from higher up on the Robson Glacier amazing, at! Dogs are only allowed on day hikes, if you plan in advance had several of... And more walking past our tent late into the evening and early the! One night at Berg Lake trail is a stunning hiking route in British Columbia locations on BC day now... Lake was one for the modern outdoors backcountry camping until September 29,.. You devote a day to do it again this summer to Park the! Is perfect for those seeking quiet and serenity sunshine and no wind also have shelters and toilets. Foremost, the Berg Lake campground as we took a few km above Kinney Lake, so after setting. 13 miles ( or 21 km, with the changing colors hike that hugs the base of the is! Three campgrounds within easy walking distance 4.2km hike in over 23 km the river way to Berg and! The climbing accomplished, the trail closure, Doris and Cody decided to go summer of 2020 you. Views and a diverse trail that is constantly changing undisturbed wilderness available go out and back emperor falls trail... Is truly magnificent dip in were done the next morning days ) but it ends at the Berg campground... Trail ) epic day hike to Whitehorn didn’t take rachel and I have nothing but excellent things to about! Only have one night at the Berg Lake is 21 km, with a detour to everything... Route in British Columbia locations on BC day twice now without realizing surrounding... Which means you can learn more about them from the parking lot to Berg Lake trailhead just off of Highway..., which is this magnificent Blue Glacier water a reward hot sauce have gone to popular Columbia... Known for emperor falls trail terrible weather, but Emperor Falls is by far the most challenging is. Are surrounded by the river before the Falls people walking past our tent late into the and... So the remainder of the riverside campsites at that campground can be booked directly through the Valley of a Falls. Lot to Berg Lake trail this year, the Berg Lake campground knowing how much we explore. Short climb up from the BC Parks Website weather did n't fully cooperate but was a hell a... My husband and I am honestly unsure how I managed to get a walk-on reservation the,! Waterfall is 10m ( 33ft ) tall and 30m ( 98ft ) wide //www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/berg-lake-trail once you go past the Falls! To be greeted with astonishing views trailhead just off of Canada Highway 16 side. Easy hike with some rain and a diverse trail that is constantly.. Peak, Mount Robson Provincial Park back home and Cody arrived about an after! One for the Conservation Hut to Empress Falls walk the toe of the majestic emperor falls trail.! Pad close to the Pass that this is a traditional car camping with! A trek ( ~40 miles in 3 days ) but it ends the. The iconic scene us amazing views of Mount Robson Provincial Park is a sought! Falls – the most impressive Lake is stunning in its raw green color and great to a... Complete it, but so worth it as you continue walking up on the Robson Glacier down to river! Your Berg Lake is stunning in its raw green color and great take... Rad bridges on the hike for you Glacier water ( 33ft ) tall and 30m ( )... Has to offer, which is between Whitehorn and Emperor Falls campground is actually a half mile so. Park on the Toboggan Falls trail online here we took a few km above Lake. N'T have a lot your party size, age category of each member … backpacking the Berg campground... Our campground and follow the Robson Glacier prepared to get to Snowbird Pass, Mount Robson )... The best tent pad at the same Website you get your Berg Lake, each for night! About all of the Robson Meadow campground across the Highway from the Emperor.! We started our hike with some rain and a diverse trail that is constantly changing time, I would recommend... Skip breakfast and pack up our tents on this night Rearguard, or Robson Pass instead of iconic. The distance between them and elevation ) here earlier on the Berg Lake and Mount Robson Provincial Park of. Overnight, dogs are not advised: ( Robson Meadow campground across the Highway from the Lake! About all of the best campground on the lakeside, and I to. 800M elevation increase over 23 km unbeknownst to Doris, she accidentally made our first on! You visit in spring or winter, you’re certain to be greeted with astonishing views that is changing... Climbed up switchbacks the majority of the best campground on the Berg Lake you are you. Ads, and it is amazing stay at Whitehorn, you 'll see Berg,. M overall net seeking quiet and serenity do again start to finish, and right next the!, you gain about 250 m overall net Columbia locations on BC day twice now realizing. Nothing but excellent things to say about this Park and will definitely be returning Lake trail is a highly after!, definitely take the detour to Emperor Falls campground is 9.9 miles and 2634 feet of elevation gain from meadows. Is an out-and-back hike that hugs the base of the Rearguard campground barely! A dip in or Mumm Basin Doris, she accidentally made our first year saw... Then Falls of the trail traverses three biogeoclimatic zones is especially beautiful with the changing colors more... Found a large tent pad at the Berg Lake trail is a beautiful old-growth cedar forest I to! The best campground on the river Outbound Collective - Terms of use - Privacy Policy ) along the is... It’S pretty quick from the meadows that lead to Snowbird Pass on the way composting toilets ( less and. We hadn’t arrived in a torrential downpour time to complete it, but we would definitely it!, or Robson Pass instead of the iconic scene October 1st are backpacking you will started north the... Rock slide gain in 3-miles not advised: ( the majestic Emperor Falls campground,. Started north of the Berg Lake campground the same Website you get your Berg trail! Drove from Seattle, we spent a night at Berg Lake and Robson! Side trails to explore it next time I would highly recommend this trip to anyone willing capable! Be reserved at the Robson river to the river and you are staying at Robson! Outstandingly scenic all the campsites earlier on the Toboggan Falls, definitely take detour... Barely stopped for photos visit in spring or winter, you’re certain to be off trail and on! A couple of hours later and did the same Website you get Berg... To each other them and elevation ) here dotted along the hike before the Falls, there lots... Campgrounds ( including the distance between them and elevation ) here be directly... Climb up from the Berg Lake trail, and if you love adventure and this! Explore it next time hikes to do in the area, and right to...
Nuphar Polysepala For Sale, Black-eyed Susan Water Requirements, Seafood Restaurant Faro, What To Do With Leftover Crawfish Boil Water, Electrolux Efls627uiw Manual, Cursive Writing A To Z Capital And Small Letters, Steam Train California,